Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to take out a policy? Travel Insurance is available to persons who have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least 6 months prior to taking out this insurance and who are registered with a UK General practitioner.

Please note: This insurance does not cover:

Single Trip Policy

  • any person aged 80 years or over at the Date of Issue;
  • any trip over 90 days for persons aged 70 years or over at the Date of Issue;
  • any Worldwide trip including USA for persons aged 75 years or over at the Date of Issue.

Annual Multi Trip Policy
  • any person aged 75 years or over at the Date of Issue;

How much will my travel insurance cost?

The cost of your policy will depend on the type of policy and cover you require, the duration of your trip(s), the number and the age of people travelling.

How can I pay?

You can pay online using a Visa, MasterCard or Maestro card.

How is my policy delivered?

Your policy is delivered via your email address.
For an extra £2.00 we can also post you a copy of your policy documents.

What countries does cover?

Single Trip Policy

Main Cover Area: Australia and New Zealand
Stopover Area 1*: Worldwide excluding North America, South America and the Caribbean
Stopover Area 2*: Worldwide including North America, South America and the Caribbean
*Please note: Only operative if indicated in the Schedule of Insurance and appropriate premium paid.

Annual Multi Trip Policy: Worldwide Excl USA / Canada

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antarctic, Antigua, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia And Herzegovina, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Brazil, British Indian Ocean Territory, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Channel Islands, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Colombia, Comoros Islands, Congo, Congo (Democratic Republic of the), Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Côte D’ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Marianas, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Territory, Occupied, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn Islands, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Republic of Ireland, Réunion, Romania, Russia (east of urals), Russia (west of urals), Rwanda, Samoa (Western), San Marino, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Helena, St Kitts And Nevis, St Lucia, St Martin, St Pierre And Miquelon, St Vincent And The Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Trinidad And Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks And Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, UAE, Uganda, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Venezuela, Vietnam, Virgin Islands (UK), Virgin Islands (US), Wallis And Futuna, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Annual Multi Trip Policy: Worldwide Incl USA / Canada

As above list including USA and Canada.

Do I need to register with Medicare?

If you receive essential medical treatment as a public patient in a public hospital, you won’t be charged for any treatment or accommodation. Simply show your passport or reciprocal health care card to staff when you arrive at the hospital.
As a UK resident you are entitled to the following for any ill-health or injury requiring immediate treatment while in Australia:
  • free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient in a public hospital
  • subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
  • Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital medical treatment provided by doctors through private surgeries and community health centres.

Who are the Insurers?

This insurance is underwritten by MAPFRE Asistencia Compañía Internacional de Seguros y Reaseguros, Sociedad Anonima. 5th Floor, Alpha House, 24a Lime Street, London EC3M 7HS. Company Number: FC021974. Branch Number BR008042. Trading under the name MAPFRE Assistance.

We (MAPFRE Asistencia) are authorised by the Dirección General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones and are subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details about the extent of our regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority are available from us on request.

MAPFRE Asistencia Compañía Internacional de Seguros y Reaseguros, S.A. branch in the United Kingdom (trading as MAPFRE Assistance) has registered offices at 5th Floor, Alpha House, 24a Lime Street, London EC3M 7HS. MAPFRE Asistencia main office is based in Spain which forms part of the EEA (European Economic Area) as a member state. The Kingdom of Spain is responsible for controlling the insurance activity of MAPFRE Asistencia S.A., through the Spanish Ministry of Economy and the Treasury, and specifically the General Directorate for Insurance Matters and Pensions Fund (Dirección General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones). Its branch in the United Kingdom is also under the United Kingdom FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) and PRA (Prudential Regulation Authority) supervision in certain situations according to the European Union Regulation.

How do I know what I'm covered for?

Please read the
Policy Wording and Policy Summary for the full details of your cover.

How long can I travel for?

The Single Trip policy covers individual trips from 1 day up to a maximum of 365 days long (or 90 days for travellers 70 years old and over).

The Annual Multi trip cover trips cover 24 days and 31 days depending on the policy type purchased.

Do you cover one-way trips?

No. Cover is only available for round trips starting from and returning to the UK.

Stopover cover – Single Trips only

The Single Trip policy covers you for travel to and from Australia and New Zealand only. If you are planning to stop off anywhere on your trip, like the Middle East, Asia or even the Americas then you will need to take out Stopover additional cover to include those countries and to ensure you are fully covered outside of Australia/NZ.

Maximum duration of cover is 24 days outside Australia/NZ.

Do you offer a "Cooling off" Period?

Yes, if for any reason you are not satisfied with the terms and conditions of your cover; you may return the Policy and Schedule to us within 14 days of the date of issue for cancellation. Any premium paid will then be refunded, provided you have not started your holiday and you have made no claim.

No refund of premium is available after the 14-day period.

Can I get travel insurance if I have an existing medical condition?

Yes, however like most travel insurance policies, pre-existing medical conditions are excluded from cover. There are certain conditions that we are able to include automatically as long as you, a close relative or business colleague upon whom the trip depends have no more than ONE of the Acceptable Medical Conditions.

Am I covered for Airline Failure, Supplier Insolvency, Travel Disruption, Winter Sports or Business Pack?

All of the above are available as additional options.

Am I covered for hazardous activities?

We include many activities as standard, but if you are going to take part in any hazardous activity, please check the list of our Acceptable Activities.

If you are intending to take part in any activity not shown in the list that may be considered hazardous or require confirmation of whether your activity is insured, please contact us on 0208 770 2772. We may be able to cover your activity as standard or in some cases for an Additional Premium.

Do you have a 24-hour Emergency Medical Assistance service?

Yes, the Travel Insurance policy entitles the insured person(s) to the use of a 24-hour emergency medical assistance service. This service is provided by MAPFRE Assistance who employ a team of trained multi lingual assistance co-ordinators.

Full details of the service they provide and how to contact them can be found in the Policy Wording.

How do I make a claim?

Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are shown in your Policy Wording on page 17 for Single Trip policies, or page 19 for Annual Multi Trip policies.

Please note: You will be expected to follow the claims procedure shown in your Policy Wording, section 'How to Make a Claim' and to substantiate your claim by providing supporting documentation.

How can I see the latest emergency travel advice?

Please check our latest Emergency Travel Information for the Underwriter's advice which may affect your trip and cover.
You can also check the UK Government Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice.